What is Sea Freight?
Sea freight is the most commonly used type of transportation mostly for international shipments. Today, 90% of world trade takes place via sea lane. Besides being cost-effective, it is also a very convenient means of transport that allows shipping goods of large amounts and volume.
Sea transport allows maximized mass transport capacity which help minimize the unit cost of transportation. It offers the opportunity of maximum security and compared to others, it has medium-level energy efficiency. Even though the delivery period is a long one in comparison to other means of transport, it presents an immense advantage in intercontinental transport by proving itself an economical option to carry large amounts of cargo.
It offers the chance of carrying especially industrial raw materials in large tonnage at once and it is more cost-effective than other types of transport (it is stated that sea transportation is 3.5 times cheaper than rail, 7 times cheaper than road and 22 times cheaper than air transport).
Benefits of Sea Freight
- It enables shipping large amounts of goods.
- It is reliable.
- There is no border crossing.
- There is minimum cargo loss.
- There are almost no other losses.
- Because it is 3.5 times cheaper than rail, 7 times cheaper than road and 22 times cheaper than air transport, it is the most popular means of transport.